Slow down. It’s ok to say “no” when your plate is already overflowing. Chasing after the wind is utter madness.
For whatever reason, our society has created an amendment to the Golden Rule. It sounds something like: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, but if you want a star by your name you’d better make sure to add glitter and a neon sign to that doing. More is more, baby.
Lie. We buy it every single time. Hook, line, and sinker. “But if I don’t do it, no one will.” Maybe that’s the case, maybe it’s not. The only prisoner in that scenario is you.
Leave some room for grace in your life, my friend.
I bounce my insanity off of a dear sister-friend of mine. She’s a couple of years older than me and will lay my sorry self out when I’m out of line in life. I expect her to do this for me. I hold her to be truthful with me, even when it’s hard. Countless times she has reminded me to not be too busy. She nudges me when my priorities are out of whack. She challenges me to be more than I am. Every single time we talk. I love her to the moon and back.
We all need these relationships in our life. We need foghorns and guard rails.
Bestie and I had a conversation the other day about priorities. My priorities, to be exact. I clearly don’t have life figured out but I know when I follow my list of importances, things just seem to run better. I’m pretty sure I saw his eyebrows raise as I rattled off my list.
- My faith, hope, and love for my awesome Abba Father. He is my nucleus. He is my oxygen.
- Myself. Namely, my health and well-being. I’m a vessel. If I’m broken or cracked, nothing else in life will line up. When this happens, see Item 1.
- My Husband. My Bestie. The other half of my headphones. (This is crucial for harmony at home.)
- The Littles. Yup. That’s right. They come AFTER God, and AFTER my man. One day, they will move out. I don’t want to eat dinner every night for the rest of my life with a stranger. True story.
- My home. The day to day grocery lists, laundry piles, and bags of cut grass.
- EVERYTHING ELSE.
Billy Joel wrote a song about it. Slow down, you crazy child… Take the phone off the hook and disappear for a while…
You can be certain that stress and worry will always be around, so I urge everyone to take time to make sure that you’re living a life WORTH living.
Haggai 2:5-7 “Now this is what the Lord Almighty says: “Give careful thought to your ways. You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.” This is what the Lord Almighty says: “Give careful thought to your ways.
Take the time to actually listen for His whisper.
Bloom where you are planted.
Post Script – I love you, Caridad. Thank you.